The company operations consist of a complementary mix of activities centred on the broad needs of road transport operators. They include manufacture of leading trailer brands, supply and distribution of parts, provision of service and repair support, manufacture of urethane foam body panels and the sales and finance of new and used trailing equipment.
In 1998 Maxi-CUBE, a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange since 1994, purchased Freighter Idustries to create a group that was subsequently renamed MaxiTrans. The acquisition united two prominent transport trailer brands - Freighter (founded in 1946) and Maxi-CUBE (founded in 1972) - that had pioneered their sectors of the Australian road industry. MaxiTrans has since acquired 3 other leading trailer brands (Hamelex Whitem, Lusty EMS and Peki) and the Colrain parts business.
In 1996, Maxi-Cube established a Chinese joint venture operation with THT, a major Chinese transport equipment manufacturer, to produce insulated fibreglass wall panels. The joint venture operates under the name of MTC (Yangzhou Maxi-Cube Tong Composites Co. Ltd), with panels sold throughout China. This joint venture partnership has experienced significant growth in sales and profitability.
MaxiTrans has made significant capital investments in its original and acquired businesses, including $18M invested in the Ballarat facility to improve effiviency, safety and quality, transforming the facility into a modern production line operation. Further investments have been made at Lusty EMS including a new factory shortly after acquisition.
They will continue to focus on offering the best possible innovative road transport solution to its customers in the form of carefully engineered, high quality trailers. Investment in its people and in modern manufacturing facilities will continue to be key priorities in the future. MaxiTrans plans to remein at the forefront of trailer technology, continuing to build on Freighter's 65 years of market leadership. They have, after all, been "Behind Trucking Since 1946".