HERA members associated with the wider steel construction sector will have or will receive a request for co-funding to the steel construction projects of HERA’s research partnership proposal intended to be submitted to MBIE.

You may have been aware from last month’s HERA News item, that out of the original 13 applications submitted; we were among the 11 applicants to be invited by MBIE to submit a full Research Partnership Proposal.

If successful the industry opportunity is 40% government co-funding for a 7-year research programme, the remaining 60% cash funding needs to be found from industry.

We’re also pleased to confirm that our Heavy Engineering Research Levy (HERL) has been accepted as being recognised as industry funding.

Research proposals received included more steel construction and other subsector projects and far exceeded the acceptable funding framework for a research partnership.

However, following consultation with our steel construction research panel and Executive we’d like to try to realise in the steel construction area the following three projects:

  1. Multi-storey residential building concepts
  2. Fire engineering of multi-storey steel buildings
  3. Weld design, fabrication and performance

Does this sound like something you’d like to be involved with?

We’d like to hear from any one interested in contributing to this scope of research.  Particularly if you haven’t received a co funding request letter to date.

Update shared by Director Dr Wolfgang Scholz